[TowerTalk] Which Quad?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which Quad?
From: rhill@htonline.com (rhill)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:49:00 -0400

Saad Mahaini wrote:

> I plan to put up a 4E tri or 5 bander quad on my new tower, and I will
> greatly appreciate hearing words of wisdom on these rascals.

  Saad:
I have had a Lightning Bolt 5 band 2 element Quad up on my tower since 1993.
The top spreader arms are heavy duty (all arms are fiberglass with L.B. co). I
live in Michigan and this antenna has held up under winter storms, spring
storms, winter icing, etc. It is a great performer as well, both transmitting
and receiving.  I have mine on a 3 inch boom (2 in. standard). If you want to
expand to 4 elements a three inch boom is standard.  You might want to read
the review of this Quad in CQ magazine April 1993, pgs.52-3. Also, one feed
line only for two element. At worst, mine has about 1.7:1 swr on parts of 20
meters. Full legal power is ok as well.
Have Fun!
Bob n8wfl