[TowerTalk] Bee Stings -- Appropriate?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bee Stings -- Appropriate?
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:32:49 -0700

John Phillipp wrote:

> I know that this bee thing has been talked to death here, I have been
> following the thread with great interest. But I want to mention a few
> things that may save some Towertalkian's life.
>
> I am an allergist, and so know a little about anaphylaxis, the major
> life-threatening allergic reaction to insect stings.
>
> Several have mentioned taking an antihistamine like Benadryl or whatever.
> Don't bother. Anaphylaxis is a severe, RAPID reaction to the sting. Long
> before an oral antihistamine could get absorbed and do some good, you would
> have been dead for some time.
>
> Someone mentioned that anaphylaxis causes constriction of the blood
> vessels. Wrong. Anaphylaxis causes dilation (opening) of the blood
> vessels... this results in a drastic drop in blood pressure and shock. It
> does however cause constriction of the bronchial air passages, which
> results in wheezing and eventually asphyxia. There are other effects also,
> but those are the main ones.
>
> The emergency treatment of anaphylaxis is an injection of epinephrine, also
> called adrenalin. Epinephrine constricts the blood vessels and increases
> the strength of the heartbeat - this is good for the shock. It also relaxes
> the muscles of the bronchial air passages which allows them to open up and
> is good for the wheezing and air hunger.
>
> If you have had a major allergic reaction to an insect sting, you should
> discuss it with your health care provider and ask for a prescription for an
> epinephrine self-injector... two trade names that come to mind are the
> "Epi-pen" and the "Ana-kit". You have to carry it with you ALL the time. A
> sting can occur at any time, and if you're having an anaphylactic reaction
> you have only minutes to inject yourself.
>
> Once you inject the epinephrine, you should feel much better. You have
> bought yourself 30 - 40 minutes to get to the nearest ER and get proper
> care. The epinephrine will wear off after a while, and the anaphylactic
> reaction may come back. There are longer lasting medicines like
> antihistamines and steroids that may be used, but their onset of action
> takes too long for them to be useful in the immediate treatment. IV fluids
> are also useful, but hard to carry up the tower.
>
> What I'm trying to get across is, don't stick a few atihistamine tablets in
> your pocket, and think you're protected in case of stings. If you are going
> to get anaphylaxis - and, fortunately, most of the people who are stung do
> not have an anaphylactic reaction - you need an injection of epinephrine,
> and you need it right then!
>
> 73, John  N6ZAE

John,
Thanks for stepping in to offer your professional expertise on this subject!
We may all argue about how relevant this thread is to "talking towers," but it
is obvoius that when we go out during the "building season," we can encounter
threats beyond the normal "old belt parts & climber falls to death" scenarios!
I have a neighbor who has tons of honey bee nests for his hobby. The little
buggars are always over here, drinking out of the dog's water bowls, and
driving me and my wife nuts. But, these little fellars never try to sting or
attack. I'm more worried about letting go of the tower, while trying to swipe
the nuisance away! I plan on trading the neighbor, my tolerance for his "pets",
for my ability to put metal in the air!
I learned a lot from this thread, and it convinces me of why I try to stay
tuned in.
Towertalk will keep you current on the latest "Buzz" about how to survive, and
maintain some sanity, while enjoying our favorite radioactive hobby!
73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress