[TowerTalk] TA-33 feed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33 feed
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:18:48 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-22 09:05:33 EDT, amaertz@oppd.com writes:

> My questions:  should a 1:1 balun be used at the beam or is that not
>  recommended?

      I would tend to follow the LXC Prime Directive: DO what the manufacturer
says. And don't do what they don't say.

      Newer PRO series Mosleys have a very critical feedpoint configuration
that you can't deviate from.

>What alternatives should one consider in making the coax
>  connection?

       With a split-coax type feed, you need to be very conscientious in
weatherproofing the coax. Water WILL migrate down the coax as it's very hard
to keep out in this scenario. For Cushcraft applications, etc., I use a center
dipole insulator with an SO-239 UHF female connector. Then you can use a coax
feed without splitting the coax.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC