[TowerTalk] 9913 Flex and PL259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 9913 Flex and PL259's
From: lburke@wt.net (Larry Burke)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:04:28 -0500

I've made up several PL259s on lengths of flex 9913 coax from Cable X-Perts
over the last week. With each connector I seem to have difficulty getting a
good connection of the shield to the barrel of the PL259. Seems the shield
is REALLY flexible.... as one screws on the PL259 the shield tries to travel
back into the coax. (Yes, the shield was tinned). This makes it tough to get
the mechanical connection afforded by the threaded barrel, not to mention
leaving nothing to solder to through the holes. I haven't had this problem
on RG-8, RG-213, or even non-flex 9913. Any trick that I'm missing?

You might also comment on whether you normally solder the shield to the
barrel or depend solely on the threads in the connector. This is always a
controversial discussion!

Larry WI5A
Friendswood, TX