[TowerTalk] Another Stacking question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Stacking question
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:57:35 +0100
Hi Don,

Let me take a crack at your questions.

You asked why use equal length coax vs odd multiples of 1/4 wave lengths of
line.   The
biggest reason is that you can measure equal lengths (and I should add we are
talking about
equal electrical lengths in this discussion, not physical lengths) but you
cannot conveniently measure
1/4 wave lengths on a line that's, say, 50 to 200 feet long running to the
antenna.  There are other
reasons, see below.

The reason is that calculations using the velocity factor, frequency
(wavelength), and a mathematical constant
(in other words, a formula) does not work.  It gets you close, but not close
enough for stacking antennas.
You actually have to measure the line using frequency measurement techniques
and cut and measure again, especially
if you're after several of the same/different 1/4 multiple lengths.  Cutting
one line equal to one 1/4 wavelength
on 20 meters by frequency measurement techniques is ok, but measuring a 180
foot piece and cutting it at exactly
11*1/4 wavelengths is fraught with error, due mostly to  measuremant accuracy,
unless you measure it with
frequency measurement techniques, not cable distance measurements.  BTW,  how
do you account for the
electrical length variation due to series lightning protectors using the 1/4
wave requirement?

On the other hand, cutting any length cables to exact (negligible error) equal
electrical lengths by using a TDR is EASY/SIMPLE.

I can describe the measurement techniques for each if anyone is interested.

BTW, I use equal electrical length cables (made up of varing lengths of Andrew
LDF-4, RG-213, and RG-8 and with PolyPhaser
lightning protectors all on the same run) running back to the shack from each
antenna in the stack.  Then I use the TDR to prune the
cable in the shack until the TDR oscilloscope patterns from each antenna are
identical when superimposed.

I then have equal phase delay to each antenna and can feed them through a BUL
switch (which uses 1/4 wave 50 and 70 Ohm lines for
feeding the antennas simultaneously and separately)--all per the schematic in
Lawson's book.  Further, there is no
additional cable loss by doing this vs using a WX0B Stackmatch at the tower,
as some say there is. (Sorry, Jay.) I can prove this
mathematically, if anyone is interested.

Also, the system I use is more robust in that if one cable run fails, I can
always use the
other antenna alone (important in a contest).  Also, there is no mechanical
relay failure point at the tower.

Lastly, the scheme I have described was taught to me by Frank, W3LPL, and is
the method he uses on all of his stacks.

I should add, further, that all my and Frank's antennas are monobanders, not
tribanders.  Further confusion?--Ask me to elaborate.

Bill, N3RR
http://www.erols.com/n3rr
http://www.erols.com/n3rr/n3ringrotor/index.htm