[TowerTalk] tower painting, etc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower painting, etc
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:35:48 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-28 22:27:54 EDT, ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us writes:

<< > 4.  Is anyone using utility-pole type long (4') fiberglass insulating
rods at
 > the top of their towers?  Could they be treated as pseudo-torqe arms?

>> I don't really understand this question. I wouldn't even think of using
them as
 torque arms. Good fiberglass is as strong as mild steel (35,000 psi Yield).
But,
 the stiffness is approx 1/10 of steel. This would render them useless to
stabilize
 the tower torque. >>

      AM broadcast stations use them all the time but they're just part of the
guying hardware - a big insulator. I think the smallest size they come in is
around 15,000 pounds breaking strength. Should be plenty for typical ham use.

      A 'torque arm' would have to be rigidly connected to the tower to do any
good. These insulators just have shackles on the end. Like my grampappy used
to say, "couldn't hurt".

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com