[TowerTalk] TA-33 feed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33 feed
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: 30 Jul 1998 00:04:26 -0000
>>Hi Tom,
>>
>>I always figured that the radiation coming from a feedline was
>>physically closer to the TV antenna than that coming from an antenna
>>so it was much stronger and more likely to cause overload in the TV set.
>
>>I never saw it explained tht way, but it is the only explanation that
>makes
>>any sense  to me!
>
>       That would only be true if your feedline has VERY poor
>       shielding.  This is true for ladderline in the near field.
>       Ideal COAXIAL cable keeps all of the field between
>       the center conductor and the INSIDE of the braid.
>       Only a small amount of leakage should radiate from
>       the line.  (BTW, I was only thinking of a neighbor's
>       TVI....when I am operating, MY  TV  is OFF :-)   N4KG

I agree that is true for a normal matched coax application.  I don't really
know what happens when the VSWR is high.  I am not sure the field is really
confined to the dielectric between the shield and center conductor in that
case.  (I'm not sure it's not either, for that matter!)

>>I have also heard that a high VSWR will render a low pass filter
>>somewhat
>>less effective and this could be the actual cause of TVI coming from a
>>tranmitting system with a relatively high VSWR.  That makes some sense
>>to me as well.
>>
>>So it seems to me there COULD be a relationship between TVI and VSWR
>>but not
>>because feedline radiation is fundamentally any different than antenna
>>radiation.
>>It could be because with feedline radiation, you are simply stuffing
>>more
>>power (and more harmonics and parasitics) into the TV or BC set than
>>you
>>would if the feedline did not radiate.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>
>>Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
>>
>       SWR at the antenna WILL cause higher currents to flow
>       in the feedline and so will tend to exacerbate whatever
>       leakage there is from the coax.   I don't know the attenuation
>       of a signal that leaks from a cable vs. what is radiated from
>       the antenna, but I expect it is a LOT.  I would expect poor
>       cable might be as bad as 10 dB down and good cable
>        (like hardline) could reach 50 dB or more.    N4KG

Yep, I agree, but all this assumes there is no radiation from the outside of
the coaxial shield.  I'm out of my league here since I don't really know
what radiation really occurs from coax with high VSWR.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com