[TowerTalk] 50 foot dish available

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 50 foot dish available
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:36:11 -0400 (EDT)
You want a big dish?  WB7UNU has one in MY yard that you can buy.

This dish started out as a prototype for a commercial product that never
went to market.  WB7UNU and I were going to install it at my QTH and the
project never was completed.  (It's a BIG project.)

Here is what is available:

1.  16 twentyfive foot "spokes" made out of 1" square aluminum tubing with a
parabolic shape for supporting the mesh surface.

2.  An asmuth/elevation rotator mechanism made of steel.  The asmuth portion
is 360 degrees and chain driven with a chain about 1 inch wide.  The
elevation portion is 0-90 degrees and driven by a large (about 2 inch
diameter, 6 feet long) worm drive.  Two 110 VAC electric motors and gear
boxes are included.

3.  Aluminum expanded mesh for the inside 30 feet diameter of the dish.
Surface material for the outside 10 feet of the dish in not included.

4.  Several hundred pounds of aluminum braces including approximately 65
each 12 foot by 1.25" aluminum angle stock pieces for bracing the surface
"spokes" and supporting the mesh.

5.  A LOT of stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers.

6.  A 26 foot high by about 12 inches diameter steel mast for a support
structure.

This dish was commercially designed to operate on "C" band which should tell
you something about the surface accuracy.

Also available is a hydraulically operated platform with electrically driven
and steerable wheels suitable for gaining access to the feed for changing
bands.  This item needs the hydraulic pump fixed and you can negotiate
separately for this platform if you are interested in it.

Here is your chance to be a BIG GUN in the EME world.  I am not aware of any
privately owned dishes as large as this one, anywhere.

This dish is located in Aloha, Oregon, near Portland.  If you would like to
see it or discuss it, you may call me at (503) 649-0837 or contact me via email.

This dish will NOT fit on a normal tower!  I calculated the projected area
of this dish to be 1962.5 square feet or about the same as 200 five element
20 meter beams . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com