[TowerTalk] MA-550 Questions- Part 1

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-550 Questions- Part 1
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 19:10:37 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Sawyers n0yvy <sawyers@inav.net>

>MA-550 is
>useless as
>a free
>standing
>antenna
>support in
>an 80 MPH
>wind
>district.

Fiddle sticks.  My MA-550 has been standing here on Kauai since
the Spring of 1992.  So what?

Well,  in September of 1992,  Hurricane Iniki blew directly over my
QTH with 160+ mph winds!  Yes,  I had it cranked down.  And,
yes,  the 4 element quad thereon was destroyed.  But,  the
MA-550 was just fine.  It vibrated,  and maybe even resonated
a few times,  as the tower pole, moved probably 8 to 10 inches
laterally during the force of the hurricane.  But,  it is still there
to this day,  thank you, holding up my Mosley TA-34-XL which
the insurance company paid for after the storm.

Install it correctly,  pull it down when storms are coming,
and it will be fine.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai