[TowerTalk] sommers vartical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sommers vartical
From: pfrenning@idc.com (pfrenning@idc.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:58:19 +0200
I recently bought one, and it' definitely not a walk on roses either!
It took nearly three month for Sommer to ship it - alright, that was partially
my own fault for being cheap, they were in the process of reengineering it for
mail shipment (UPS across the pond is EXPENSIVE), and I wanted to wait for that.
I finally received it about a month ago.
The bad news is: although it works, it's not a very good antenna! or rather, I
haven't (yet?) been able to make it work well.
On 20m, which should be a >natural< frequency for it, it's more that one S-unit
down compared to my 20m GP (mounted at the same height, 15' above ground), and
the "tuning loss" is about 25W for 100W drive.
On-the-air reports indicate from 3dB to a whopping 12dB less signal!
I am not in a position to make similar comparisons on other bands, as I don't
have verticals for them, but I do have a number of inverted V dipoles and also
use the 20m GP with a tuner.
I'm not impressed!
There are several mechanical issues as well, which we can discuss, if you are
still interested!
I'm afraid I just wasted about $350.-

73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

Peter Frenning, Program Director