[TowerTalk] Cable Stretch is Important!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable Stretch is Important!
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:45:15 -0700

Pete Smith wrote:

> Max here so far has been about 75, with lots of 50+, so it's not really
> severe.

Lucky you! We are just on the eastern side of the Sierra's. Kinda like the boys
in
Denver. We see 70-80 mph every storm front and for sure 100+ at least once
every 2
years. A few years ago they clocked nearly 140 peak at the airport, but it
doesn't
come that often. There is a very narrow band along the range that sees this kind
of wind. I think (hope) i'm about 3-4 miles east of the band, so I'm designing
the
towers and antennas for around 110 or approx 50 PSF windload. 110 Mph is almost
2.5 times more wind load than 70 Mph.

> When I was putting this thing up, I thought seriously about putting a
> couple of thin sheets of teflon between the base and the concrete pier to
> form a relatively slippery bearing surface.  In the end, I just assumed
> that (maybe) if the torsional stress got high enough it would move anyhow.

Good thing you didn't put the teflon in there. It is way too soft and will cold
flow and get pushed out of the gap.

> In case you're interested, I did a summary of the inputs I got on the two
> basing methods, which can be found at KA9FOX's web site.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress