[TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 21:36:17 -0700
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>      Do you have any idea what the REAL elongation of EHS is? Over what time
> period? If it's one-per cent, that's one foot per 100. Phillystran publishes
> an elongation over time chart but I haven't seen anything for EHS. I have a
> contact at a wire rope manufacturer, maybe he can shed some light on it.

Hi Steve,No I haven't been able to get numbers yet directly from the EHS mfgrs.
It
would be great if your contact could help.
I've been using a set of formulas and info from the MacWhyte Company, wire rope
mfgr, that is the most comprehensive info I've found. It is the what has been
used
for years by my colleagues that design the sailboat masts. Unfortunately, they
don't show and EHS designated cable in the data. Their formulas function on
variables based on the wire rope construction. I've been usung values that their
formulas generate on similar constructions. So, probably very close but not
from a
horses mouth yet.
Any help you could generate would be really neat! Thanks.

A bit of trivia! One of the mast designers once told me that when doing a rough
order of magnitude design, he used a solid rod diameter that is 1/2 of the
nominal
cable size to get the equivalent stretch. This means that if you were using 1/4"
cable you would make the analysis with 1/8" solid rod to be in the ballpark on
stretch. This is kind of really on the safe side for what I've seen in the
MacWhyte data.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress