[TowerTalk] Prop Val Study News

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop Val Study News
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:19:27 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

McLean, VA -- W3DQ (Eric Rosenberg) and K3OSX (Ron McCall), were each
able to obtain the curriciulum vitae and transcript of testimony of the
real estate appraiser hired by AT&T  in McLean, VA.  Sadly, the
appraiser's testimony is only testimony, and no "study" was submitted in
written form for the record (which I was hoping we could use in other
fora). Thanks gents.

Gwinnett Co., GA -- W4UCK (Jim Altman) tells me that he's succeeding in
getting the lawyer involved there to agree to forward a copy of the
appraiser's testimony.  We'll see what it is when we see it.

Baldwin, ME -- I found the Boston appraiser who testified for WMTW-TV in
its application for a 1,667 foot tower for this Portland, ME area TV
station. We're trading info and he's promised to put his study in the
mail. He has also told me that he's testified in other locations, and
that he'd check to see if he had any other documents which were part of
the public record that he could mail to me.

In a very satisfying note, I am pleased to say that  I recently worked on
a ham case  with testimony by a local real estate agent who stood up and
did the usual "I'm sure it'll knock $15-20,000 off the price" chatter. No
method of study nor credentials were presented.  As the testimony was
facially weak, and a board member immediately responded "Well, we're
always faced with making some people unhappy when we have to make a
decision in a contested matter," I decided that we would NOT respond at
all to the property values issue.  In the decision, issued last week, the
Board held that the testimony of the local agent was "not credible."

Nonetheless, we can't be lucky all the time, so I continue to work on
assembling what I can assemble.  If you hear of a local cellular tower
proceeding where a member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI) testifies,
please try to scarf a copy of any written documents.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]