[TowerTalk] Towers & Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers & Trees
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (Edward W. Sleight)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:22:39 -0400
John Langdon wrote:
I still don't have all my slopers up because of the hassle of getting
a line up and over the all the trees and through the antennas mounted
on the tower, but I draw the line at removing trees for that,....

Well, if a tree is 70' or greater, I'll take my chances. But, as for
the hassle...slingshots and bow and arrows work fine...except for very
long runs over many trees...and the answer there is simple. Go to a
hobby shop, buy a small ( or large ) rocket engine, get about 10 feet
of small steel leader line from the fish shop, and a reel which can
hold
about 500' of 10-15 pound line. Connect in order, get piece of
aluminum
tubing about twice the size of the rocket engine...smooth and tape one
end on the inside...you can plant the thing like a mortar, or angle
and
tie it to a tree...Light the fire (ELECTRICALLY!!) and watch it go.
I've
gone over 300 feet of trees this way.

Plus, it's fun.

73