[TowerTalk] unknown (to me) beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] unknown (to me) beam
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:13:35 -0500
Bill Aycock wrote:

> As a part of a package deal, I have just acquired a beam of unknown origin.
>  It is apparently about 18 years old, judging from dates on other things
> that were with it, (the rotor manual has a 1980 date penciled in, and the
> date Feb78 stamped on the botom)
>
> there are four elements on an 18 foot boom. The driven element is 26.75
> ft. long, and has 2 sets of traps. The forward director is 25 ft long, also
> with 2 sets of traps. The reflector is 32.2 ft long, and has only one set
> of traps. There is a trapless director that is 17.6 ft long.
>
> The feed is apparently by a small Balun, located under the boom, feeding
> the driven element through two stainless straps. The DE is mounted in a
> plastic tube clamped to the boom with a plate and U-bolts. The plastic tube
> is about 1/4 inch thick.  The traps are small, cylindrical, and with
> something like "Caplug" caps.
>
> I have not re-assembled the thing yet, and I dont know if the traps and the
> feed element are any good. I am hoping to get someones "best guess", at
> least, to help in the re-assembly and checking.
>
> Why dont the makers of these things put their names on them in such a way
> that the weather wont erase the ID?  Not proud of their work ?
>
> Thanks for any help. In the future, I will pay more attention to beams that
> I get close enough to see.
>
> Bill- W4BSG

Bill, I had a beam back in the early 80's made by TET that sounds very
similar
to that one.  I think they are out of business today but made some nice
antennas.
I had 4 of them (all different ones) tribanders and monoband yagis.  All
worked
fair and stayed up without any maintenance.  Good luck....

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment
                          Toys for "Real" CW Men