[TowerTalk] cross booms for vhf/uhf antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cross booms for vhf/uhf antennas
From: wd4ngb@m2.sprynet.com (Bruce Richards)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:35:58 +0000
Hello Wally,
The fiberglass is used more for it not being a metalic support . This
becomes more important as you go up in frequency. The metal mast on a 20mtr
beam is so small in relation to wave lenght it would nnot be considered.
When you get up to VHF, this is not the case. It then dependends on how the
antenna was modeled, and if the mast/cross boom is going to be in line with
the elements or not. I will has impact both ways, not not the same. So what
to do?  These antennas are very good antennas, but are not as touchy as one
like the 17B2. If you want a perfect, clean, non distorted pattern on VHF
and up, use fiberglass . At least to within a wavelenght of the antenna. A
very good way would be to space them at the ideal seperation using the metal
in the center, and fiberglass on the ends if they need to be farther apart
than your fiberglass boom is long.

|   |
|   |fiberglass                              Metal Boom
fiberglass            |   |

|   |

I hope this drawing shows up correct when sent.... Bruce