[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:35:41 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:08:08 -0500 Roger Cox writes:

>TowerTalkians:
>
>In order to keep up-to-date with the most accurate method of
>determining
>antenna wind surface area, we will be adding the following new
>specifications to our antenna instruction manuals, catalog and web
>page
>information:
>
>Antenna          Projected Area* in sq. ft.
>Model              (elements)  (boom)
>
>TH7DX                11.5         4.1

Roger:  I've picked the TH7DX at 11.5 to compare (because I own two of
'em and two TH6's).  This has, in the manual that came with my TH7, a
wind surface area of 9.4 s.f.  If this is the number that one matches
with the Rohn 25G or 45G numbers in ovals or rectangles, then hams have
just lost 2.1 s.f. of loading.  Or does the 11.5 now get reduced by some
factor?  My question is:  For a ham applying for a building permit, he
must produce an antenna number lower than the tower number -- so I hope
HyGain and Rohn s.f. numbers match. Could you comment for the reflector?
-- Fred K1VR

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]