[TowerTalk] Connecting RF Choke 40-2CD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connecting RF Choke 40-2CD
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 23:33:24 -0400
I am a firm believer in the fewer components that can fail the more likely
you will NOT have a failure and as such am a proponent of the wound coaxial
balun versus using a commercial balun.

There are some very good ones out there (like K6NA's) and there is some
crap out there, too...but, with the commercial balun in between the rig and
the antenna, it is just another opportunity for failure.

KISS (keep it simple stupid) seems to be prudent thinking....after all,
with the wound balun it is just the coax...with no breaking of the center
conductor or shield for a potential PL259 failure.

Minimize sites of potential failure = minimizing failure potential, no?

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm