[TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:19:02 -0400
If I may, I would like to bullet-point what I consider to be important
factors that oftentimes lead to confusion.  Walt, if what I am about to
present is incorrect or misleading, please step in.

1)  For H.F. communications purposes, moderate mismatches between the
transmission line and the antenna can be compensated through a conjugate
match (where the entire system reactance is zero), performed anywhere in the
transmission system between the transmitter and the antenna, inclusive of
the transmitter's pi or link output network (typical of vacuum tube-based
transmitters), resulting in an efficient transfer of power to the
antenna/load, provided that transmission line losses are minimal.

2) In the case of fixed-output-impedance, solid-state transmitters, this
conjugate match can be achieved through the use of an external network (e.g.
antenna tuner or transmatch).

3) Under small to moderate antenna-to-transmission line mismatches, varying
the length of the transmission line will not change the VSWR, but will
result in varying the impedance the transmitter sees looking into the
transmission line.  By varying the length of the transmission line, the
transmitter's output network may be able to achieve a conjugate match more
easily.

4) Larger degrees of antenna to transmission line mismatch (higher VSWR)will
oftentimes require a network (external to the pi or link network) capable of
handling a greater mismatch.  An "antenna tuner" or "Transmatch" will
oftentimes achieve this.  Paramount to keeping an efficient transmitter-to-
load transfer under this condition, it is important to keep transmission
line losses low, as the antenna-to-transmission line mismatch increases.

5) The purpose of the network (e.g., antenna tuner or transmatch) is to
conjugately *tune* the entire system through reactance cancellation, while
achieving a Zo match ( i.e., the transmitter's output impedance) to the
input of the network.

6) In the case of a vacuum tube output, #5 above is achieved by matching
(Zo)the PA plate circuit's output impedance to the input of the pi or link
network, while the network also conjugately tunes (reactively cancels) the
entire antenna system including the transmission line.

7) The above arguments do not necessarily apply to critical transmission
line and/or communication applications including FM multiplex (Stereo +
SCA), and fast-scan, broadcast quality television transmissions.  Under
these two examples, a transmission line-to-antenna *match* is absolutely
necessary in order to eliminate the effects of self-induced multipath that
will occur with only a conjugate match.  This manifests as "ghosting" on
television reception and poor stereophonic audio separation on FM multiplex
broadcasts

8) Regarding the term "Reflection Gain:" True, while the name implies
"amplification," the use of this terminology is a "well-settled" description
among RF engineers to denote a re-reflection.

-Paul, W9AC