[TowerTalk] Screw Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Screw Anchors
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:36:52 -0500
David Jordan wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm getting started on a country antenna site and I've got some
> questions to answer and would appreciate any inputs...
>
> Got some figures from the Soil evaluation service for the perk test on
> the property where I'm planning to install a CT-100 (100'guyed) crank up
> tower and wondered if it would be useful in making the determination as
> to whether I should go with earth screw anchors or concrete.  The terms
> used don't mean anything to me but for what they're worth the five test
> holes all read out about the same.
>
> Texture group: I-II
>
> Depth    Color    Texture
> 0-10"     BR        (10 5/3) LS
> 10-36    LyBR    (10 6/4-6/6)LS
> 36-48    BrY       (10 6/8) LS
> 48-60    BrY       (10 6/8) LS (coarse) w/strbr (7.5 5/6) Lamella
>
> TRI-EX has both 6'  and 8' anchors. Sets of three go for $96 and $120.
> Is there a better price to be had?
>
> I'm planning to install a TB6EM, HB 40meter beam (2-3 elements), 12
> element
> 2 meter beam and a turnstile for 160/75 meters. Looking for comments on
> how best to stack the beams. I've considered placing the 40m beam just
> above the tower while placing the TB6 about 12' above the 40M with the
> 2m beam in between.
>
> The tower guy points are at 20', 51' and 98'. I plan to replace the 1/4"
> steel cable at the 98' guy point with phillistran and set the 160
> turnstile at one section down from the top
> which would place it abou 15' below the 40m beam and 30' above the
> second set of steel
> guys hoping to minimize the interaction between the 160 antenna, the
> second guys, and the
> 40m beam.
>
> Regarding grounding. All the sections of this tower contact each other
> via alloy rollers, the pull cable, and it's pulleys...unlike a bolt
> together tower. Any thoughts as to the need
> to improve these connections (should I run a ground cable from the top
> section down to the base and ground grid?
>
> I'm putting up a steel building for storage of farm supplies, to park
> the RV and tractor. The building will be about 25'X40'X16'. I was
> thinking that I might set the tower just behind the rear or off to the
> side of the building. Any thoughts about pros and cons of having the
> building next to the tower versus off to one side by 50-80'  would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> dave
> WA3GIN

I had the local power company come out here on a Saturday and install 3
anchors (16' long each) with their power truck.  Took one hour to do
them
all and they charged me $500.....worth every penny.
these are the same anchors used in cross country high power utility
towers,
very strong, big, and very very heavy....glad they had strong guys...
                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment
                          Toys for "Real" CW Men