[TowerTalk] Concrete Base Installation Help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete Base Installation Help
From: VE5RA@sk.sympatico.ca (Doug Renwick)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:27:18 -0600
Bill Aycock wrote:

> Another myth:
>
> At 03:50 PM 8/25/98 -0700, you wrote:
>   Also, don't be temped to put your grounding rods through the base.  I
> >was originally planning to do this and found out that a lightening strike
> would
> >cause the concrete to explode, causing the tower to fall, etc....  >> KT3U
> >>

> I have heard this many times, but have never heard of a case being
> documented. The ARRL is one of the perpetuators of this, in their position
> against"  "Ufer Grounds", but  I dont know who, at ARRL, started it.
>
> If anyone knows of an authentic case of grounds through bases causing an
> explosion, please post to the list, giving traceable info.
>
> Remember- traceable, please. Second and third hand "my cousins dog groomer
> heard of---" are not real.
>
> Bill

Correct a myth - My towers (4) have been grounded through concrete bases
and attached to the tower legs for over 20 years without an explosion or
any lightning damage to the QTH.  This was done before I even heard of
the myth and subsequent towers (4 more) were done based on my previous
experience rather than what I was told.

--
VE5RA                       First VE5 5BDXCC and 160M DXCC

Doug Renwick, P.O.Box 50, Clavet, SK.,  S0K 0Y0

"What good will it be for a ham if he gains all the awards,

 yet forfeits his soul?"