[TowerTalk] Bobtails

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bobtails
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 05:27:14 +0000

>Hi All.....................Anyone willing to relate any experiance with the
>bobtail curtail antenna???? I am considering putting one up for 40 meters.
>Thanks....Al/W8FAX

Al

Have had several over the years Bobtails and Half Squares, depending on the
the available organic towers (trees). I always fed mine at the Center
(bobtail) or corner (half square). The beam width on the Bobtails is
actaully a bit narrow so you have  to position it carefully. I prefer the
half square for its broader pattern. I never tried voltage feeding at the
bottom because of the voltage requirements for the cap. A good vaccumn
variable should do the trick however. There is not any  advantage to having
the top much higher than 1/4 wave. The lengths are longer than the standard
236/F but I dont remember howmuch. Tell me a bit about what your supports
are going to look  like.

I had a 80M halfsquare that I tuned for 3795. I then had a DC tap on the
corner feed point which I used for a relay which switched in a small amount
of inductance to resonate the  antenna for 3510. That way I could work DX
on CW and SSb with a good 50 Ohm match.

Dave
K9NX
n7ex@athenet.net