[TowerTalk] Transco switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Transco switch
From: n7rt@doitnow.com (Hardy Landskov)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:41:21 -0700
At 08:18 AM 9/29/98 -0400, Sam Hall wrote:

>Sam,
>
>     I have a Transco 1460-4 switch which is 4 position and operates at 28
>vdc.  I would say your 1460-5 is the same animal with one additional switch
>pole.  Mine has a 5 pin plug providing direct switching ( not stepped) to
>each of the 4 poles.  I don't know the RF power capabilities and would be
>interested in that info if you find out.
>
>                               73, Sam--K8WVA--

Hi Sam and All,
I used to work at Transco and those 1460 series switches are very rugged.
They will handle a kilowatt easily up to 440 MHz as long as the VSWR is
below 2:1. Make sure though, that the switch is working ok. Take a 3/8 in.
open end wrench and unscrew all of the connectors.  Power up the switch and
make sure the center conductor lands in the center of the hole where the
connectors screw in. Once that is done, screw the connectors back in and
test for DC continuity between the center pin of the center connector and
the center pin of each connector on the outside.  The screw in connectors
have spring loaded center conductors that sometimes stick or just plain
wear out.
73  Hardy  N7RT