[TowerTalk] Driv Elem Tuning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driv Elem Tuning
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:19:00 -0700

Hi Ken, Ron,

You can feel free to make adjustments to the driven element to
bring its match into range.  Absent a _really_ large change to
the dimensions of the DE or any change to its location on the
boom, there will be virtually no effect on the Gain and F/B
ratio.

I would not fool around with the other elements unless you have a
means to verify the resulting pattern once it is up in the air.
At any rate, this will probably be unnecessary on a commercially
made antenna unless you are trying to compensate for interaction
with other antennas in close proximity.

Compensation for close by antenna interaction is potentially one
of the most useful applications for the NEC based modeling
programs.  Because in this case, you really don't need to worry
about the model geting the absolute lengths of the parasitic
elements exactly correct.  If this is what I was up to, I would:

1.  Make a model of the antenna and get it working like the
    manufacturer claims (or as close as possible).

2.  Make a working model of the proximate antenna.

3.  Place them as intended in practice in the model relative to
    one another.

4.  Retune the parasitic elements on the antenna under test until
    the performance returns.

5.  Note the magnitude and direction of the _changes_ to the
    element lengths and apply them to the antenna.

6.  Put the system up and retune the DE for best match.

This should save a LOT of climbing and considerably reduce the
exposure of humans to dangerous heights in order to get this job
done.

73, Eric  N7CL