[TowerTalk] Temporary guys - Shackles or Carribiners?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys - Shackles or Carribiners?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:47:53 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-03 14:48:16 EDT, 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu writes:

<< In connecting temporary guys to the tower and anchor, are carribiners
 strong enuff or should I buy some extra shackles?  Altho I envision removing
 the permanent guys for only a few hours, I could envision relying upon the
 temporary guys for several days while finishing work at the top of the tower.
 Thus, I would use 1/4 EHS guy material, just like the permanent stuff, and
 wonder whether the normal Black Diamond type biner from REI is strong enuff
 to tension to normal tightness (600 lbs tension) plus have additional
 strength to handle unforseen big winds coming up overnight? >>

       I use them for temporary guying as well as just about everything in the
tower work arena. A typical carabiner is rated at around 20 kiloNewtons or
more (which I think is a dynamic load measurement). I think that that equals
around 4-5000 pounds breaking strength (I'm going from memory here). Most
ropes, hardware, etc. used for loads are rated at a safe working load of
10-20% of their breaking strength so you wouldn't be overstressing the biner
for this temporary use. It's probably at least as strong as the 3/16" EHS
cable (3990# breaking strength) if that's what you're using for temporary
guys.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC
http://www.championradio.com