[TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX-48
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 08:40:33 -0400
Mike,

The secret to survival of these type towers is not to guy the tower but
to guy the mast.

I've had several of these towers. I run pipe all the way down to the
tower base and bolt it to the base. Above the tower, up on the mast, I
install a thrust bearing which is attached to a guy plate. In this way
the pipe/base rather than the tower deals with all the twist moment from
the high winds.

Using this method I've never had the typical HDBX loose revits. Never
had a tower
failure, etc. Have lost some antennas and a rotor due to the winds but
the towers were
in good shape.

good luck,
dave

Chuck said:

       This past may, we experienced 103mph straight-line winds here and

the tower and antenna all came crashing down! Everything was a total
loss.
Close inspection revealed that the tower rivits were again popping out
due
to the constant torque even at the lower section.

        I gave it all away and am currently erecting 90ft of Rohn 45G
with
monobanders! As I type this, my wife is applauding me for telling you
this
so that your wife doesn't have to go through what she did! The specs on
that
tower also say not to use an antenna with a boom length of over 10ft!!!
32ft
is stretching it a bit. I have learned my lesson! Please head this
warning!!