[TowerTalk] LIGHTNING PROTECTION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LIGHTNING PROTECTION
From: DavisRFinc@aol.com (DavisRFinc@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:59:28 EDT
<K4LDR, Pete:     I took a 4th lightning hit this
evening (Sun); all since June 29th. PolyPhaser has a comprehensive lightning
protection techniques
publication.  $22  I believe now.  I have it.  We have a Ufer ground
system in house.    What am I doing wrong?  Living in an excessively
high lightning area, where a 130 foot ground rod can't get to 25 ohms;
that's what.
KS1A/2, Jim:
My future tower HAS to be next to the house because of
permit/property-dimensions. Can someone with a similar setup tell me how
they faired over the years with lightning? Even with ADC surge protection on
all our work gear at the house (telephones, too) we've lost equipment due to
nearby strikes>

   Jim and Pete,  I would be glad to review your situation and make some
suggestions as to PolyPhaser parts which should help your situation.  What I
would need is a detailed overview (a rough drawing would help) of what towers,
antennas, your various cables,  buildings, power lines, etc.  and any other
possible contributing factors.  We'll start there.  No obligation.  If you, or
anyone else wants to do so, I can furnish fax #, address etc.  Just bear with
me on the turn around time as these tend to take some time and demand is high
now.  It's been a tough year in many locations.  Unfortunately, it takes a
hit, or even a surge, for many to contact us.  Regards & 73,  Steve Davis,
K1PEK
DAVIS RF Co., Commercial wire/cable, RF connectors, custom cable design.
Discounts to hams..........BURY-FLEX ? low loss HF-microwave HDPE coax;
....FLEX-WEAVE? aerial wire. Registered trademarks of Davis Associates, Inc. .
.LMR ?, Heliax?, PolyPhaser Tm, etc.  Visit our web site at  www.davisRF.com.
1-800-328-4773   (1-800-DAVIS RF)