[TowerTalk] Reflection Gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Reflection Gain
From: n7rt@doitnow.com (Hardy Landskov)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:51:13 -0700
At 07:26 PM 9/9/98 PDT, Charles R Constantine wrote:

>I have read several articles and books including Walters W2DU Reflections
>and ARRL Antenna book and they all basically say the same thing.  The
>enlargement of the forward power or the re-reflection of the power in the
> Transmatch is called "REFLECTION GAIN".
>"REFLECTION GAIN" cancels "REFLECTION LOSS".
>
>Once again im confused. (or dont understand). If its not gain what is it?
>
>Chuck KR6C

Hi Everyone,
I will be brief. Current day transceivers are designed for a 50 ohm output.
If there are reflections on your transmission line, that reflected power
ends up being dissipated as heat at the transceiver. You do not have any
choice in the matter. Call that reflection loss.
Remember those old radios that actually had "Loading" and "Tuning" knobs on
them?   There were there to provide the reflection gain everyone is talking
about because they intoduced the conjugate match the transmission line was
looking for at that point.  (Provided they had the tuning range). If a line
is very low in loss, then the majority of power can be radiated. That's all
there is to it.
73  Hardy  N7RT