[TowerTalk] 40 meter beam height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter beam height
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:08:40

At 12:33 PM 9/13/98 -0400, Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:

>>The 40 M beam just begins to "work" at 100 feet and will work better at 125
>>ft.
>
>Disagree.  I had a 402CD at 85' that worked GREAT.  N4RJ's 40 meter yagis
>were 90' and I would stack his 40m signal against anyone's.
>
>I would say 75' is where the 40 meter beam starts to "work".  But if you
>can get it higher... do it.

This is really a pretty fruitless debate, unless you define what "work"
means.  There's no magical "knee in the curve" where a 40-meter antenna
suddenly acquires desirable characteristics.  It's all a matter of what
angles are needed to do what you want to do, and how you can focus more of
your power at those angles, through a combination of antenna height and
foreground characteristics.  I think that a 40 or 80 meter antenna can be
lower, in terms of wavelengths, for a given path than would be the case on
the higher frequencies, because the optimum angle of radiation for such a
path is higher on the lower frequencies.  Good thing, considering how much
height costs, particularly for a big yagi.