[TowerTalk] Tower Base - Design Change Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base - Design Change Question
From: amcastmis@earthlink.net (Jim)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:59:06 -0700
Hi Dan,

I did exactly what you're considering for my 38' Telex tower and it worked out
great.  I used a 1/2" steel plate with 1/2" x 3" x 10" steel bar for the
uprights.  I bent the uprights (had them bent actually) at about the 4" point
and drilled the 2 corresponding holes in the longer side to  match the tower
legs, being careful to keep everything square and equal distance from the
base.   Next, I temp. bolted the uprights to the tower and then clamped the base
to the uprights and then drilled through the uprights and base, forming the
holes for the anchor bolts.  Next, I securely bolted the uprights to the base
and then removed the whole unit from the tower, took it to a welder and had a
bead welded on both sides of each upright to keep everything in alignment.
Since the base is square and the tower triangular, I put an additional anchor
bolts in the corners that the single side is on.  This gives me a total of 5
anchor bolts.  I made a plywood template of this base to assist in holding the
bolts while pouring the concrete.  It worked out just fine.  Remember to allow
enough thread above the base for a bottom nut and for adjustment.  In
retrospect, the 1/2 for the base is probably a major overkill.  The uprights
actually take the load and the base simply holds the whole thing together.  I
bought my steel from a scrap yard and they charge by the pound so I could have
saved a few bucks using lighter gauge steel on the base.  Adjust any dimensions
to allow for your larger tower.  Your idea of basing it on the US Tower design
sounds like a good idea to me.  Have fun.  Use a Force 12 or Hygain 40 meter
beam.  Avoid Cushcraft, they screwed me and other early buyers of the X9.

Good luck.  73's
Jim
WB6YAW