[TowerTalk] Models and Specs in QST Ads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Models and Specs in QST Ads
From: sbest@cushcraft.com (sbest@cushcraft.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 98 16:07:27

     Just a quick response to this issue.

     Cushcraft Corporation currently uses several commercially available
     programs, including NEC4, to design and model our antennas.  We really
     just began to think about releasing modeling data for the purpose of
     QST advertising.  In fact, Dean Straw (N6BV) and I spoke very briefly
     about it today.

     Relative to my refusal to provide detailed information to Dave
     (w6anr), he quite simply asked for more information than we typically
     provide to customers, like trap L, C and Q values.  This is a bit
     different than standard technical support.  We thought we were doing
     the community a big favor by placing all of our manuals on the web
     page for FREE download.  Everyone should simply have fun with modeling
     the antennas and comparing performance.

     Given the heated exchanges I've been involved in on the reflector, I
     thought it best to avoid getting involved in supporting (directly or
     indirectly) personal computer modeling efforts.  All of these software
     packages provide accurate results based upon the input files.  The
     problem is that the input files don't always represent the actual
     antenna.  So if your not directly involved in creating the input file,
     you can't be certain of the model validity.

     73
     Steve
     VE9SRB