[TowerTalk] Guying a Mini "Tower"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying a Mini "Tower"
From: gab@m33.magwien.gv.at (Hubert Gabler)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:07:14 +0200
Please don't mind if I come with a problem that may sound simple to you but
I nevertheless need an advice:

I wanted to build a counterinductive wound helical for mediumwave
reception. So I purchased two 6m (20') fiberglass tubes, one with OD 50mm
and one with OD 40mm. The latter fits exactly into the thicker tube and so
I get a 10m pole (1m overlap + 1m in ground). When I first set up this rod
on a windy day it swayed to and fro in a rather frightening manner so I
quickly laid it down again. Obviously I had overestimated the stiffness of
fiberglass. It is now clear to me that the system needs guying and I think
that one set of guy ropes will do. Our winds here never exceed 50-55 mph.

My question is: what would be the optimum height for fastening the ropes? I
guess that it must be somewhere between 2/3H and 3/4H but I'm not sure.
And: what minimum angle is recommended to achieve the  necessary stability?

Grateful for any advice!
73 de Hubert

Hubert Gabler
Vienna, Austria