[TowerTalk] return loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] return loss
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:53:32 -0700
Same difference. Return loss is the amount, in dB, that the
reflected signal (power) is down from the forward or incident wave.
The ARRL Handbook has a converstion nomograph. However,
it is obvious that a 1:1 VSWR would be a very high value of
return loss (>40 or 50 dB), and a short or very high
SWR would yield a RL close to 0dB.

I'm surprised that AEA is using RL as that is usually used in the 75 Ohm world
of cable television, whilst SWR is the 50 Ohm world of RF communications.
Maybe I should introduce Towertalkians to SRL (structural return loss), which
is used to qualify hardline coaxial cables?

73,
Bob AA0CY
20 years in the technical side of cable television