[TowerTalk] Fw: Fulton k1550 winch failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Fulton k1550 winch failure
From: Jepilot@aol.com (Jepilot@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 14:29:33 EST
Sorry to hear of the winch failure.  I"m sure there are  hundreds of these
tower systems in use (including mine).  Everything depends on the intergrity
of the winch and cable.  If either fail, down it comes.  I have recently
replaced my cable with stainless steel but have not previously considered
replacing the winch (although it was cleaned and inspected when the cable was
replaced).  My tower (and winch) have been in use about 10 years.

What have others done ?  Is there a better winch system?  Is there another
safety lock or backup system?  Any comments and suggestions will be shared
with the reflector.  Thanks.  Jan (hanging by a cable) Rehler, W5KNZ, Corpus
Christi, Texas