[TowerTalk] Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: jccrtv@jccrtv.com (jccrtv@jccrtv.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:32:19 -0500
This is a little bit of a stretch for the tower group, but a lot of you gave
me great advice on proper grounding systems...so this IS related. Since last
night the lights have been flickering dramatically so I shut off all the
gear and TV's etc. I plugged in a Radio Shack voltage meter (not looking for
super-accuracy) and watched the needle swinging from the normal 117 up to
150volts (!!) and back again. Over and over. Power company was just here and
it turns out our house ground must have gone bad. He told us that the ground
at our pole (at the road) was bad, too. This as you know is catastrophic if
lightning hit. He had a house last month where lightning went from appliance
to appliance. His recommendation was that we sink an additional two 8 foot
rods where the power enters the house. And from being on this group, I know
EXACTLY how the electrician should make and weather-proof the proper
connection. Oy, it's always something.

Jim Mulvey - KS1A