[TowerTalk] C-31 XR, Assembly, Rivet Tool Slippage and Rivet Alignment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C-31 XR, Assembly, Rivet Tool Slippage and Rivet Alignment
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:27:18 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: William E. Handy Jr. - K6LF <wmhandy@pacificnet.net>
To: Kurt Andress <ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us>; k2av@qsl.net <k2av@qsl.net>
Cc: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 12:07 PM
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] C-31 XR, Assembly, Rivet Tool Slippage and Rivet
Alignment

>Hello All,
>
>I had no rivet tool slippage while assembling my C-3, and I was lubricating
>the rivets with noalox!  I use a Stanley model MR100I tool from Home Depot.

Have had a number of direct emails referring to the same trouble I had.

Would not be suprised if the inner design of the tool, or some quality
factor, made some tools more subject to the slippage than others.

Thanks for the note. If I can't get mine cleaned & working for the next
time, will hop over to HD and get one like yours. I think mine came in one
of those pop rivet + tool specials from the local hardware store. It's
probably not the same quality as a Stanley. Also, the C31XR had more rivets
in an afternoon than all the rest of my life combined.

73, Guy.

>If I did have slippage problems though, my first thought about cleaning the
>tool would be to squirt some brake or carb cleaner into the grip jaw area
of
>the tool.

... snip ...