[TowerTalk] Rebar & Concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebar & Concrete
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:45:09 +0000
A few minutes ago, I wrote:

> Anyway, it looks
>to me like the rebar is supposed to form a grid with 1'x1'
>squares, about 1 inch below the top face and 1 inch inside
>the vertical face nearest the tower.

I just saw another Drawing in the Rohn Catalog, B841300, which
specifies "Minimum concrete cover for reinforcement shall be
3 inches, unless otherwise noted." It also states "Concrete cover
from the top of the foundation to the ends of vertical reinforcement
shall not exceed three inches, nor be less than two inches."
Pse disregard my previous 1 inch statement.

There are a bunch of other interesting notes on that drawing,
such as:

"Reinforcing cages shall be braced to retain proper dimensions
during handling and throughout placement of concrete."

"Welding is prohibited on reinforcing steel"

"Free fall concrete may be used provided the fall is vertical
down without hitting sides of excavation, formwork, reinforcing
bars, form ties cage bracing or other obstructions. Under
no circumstances shall concrete fall through water."

"For anchor block type foundations, the portion of all steel
anchors, from the top of anchor block to ground level, shall
be coated with Bitumen."

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]