[TowerTalk] 10-meter LPDA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10-meter LPDA
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:38:27 -0500 (EST)
Having searched for a single antenna that will cover all of 10-meters with
roughly equal gain, F-B, and SWR, I am currently working with possible
LPDA designs.  Translating these designs from calculating software, like
LPCAD, into models of reasonable accuracy, and from there into something
that can be built has turned out to have some interesting twists.

So I have posted a work in progress, "A 10-Meter LPDA," at my site.  The
semi-frozen design has just about the same gain as a 3-element Yagi on a
short (8') boom, used for the LPDA, with >20 dB F-B across the band and a
flat SWR curve (once you introduce a matching section).

Lots of questions remain in my head about the design, its construction,
and related matters, but I thought that summing up what I have encountered
so far might be useful.  Remember not to translate anything relevant to
the monoband LPDA to wide-band version covering many bands.  I hope the
notes are useful to someone.

Look under the Upper HF antenna collection in the main index.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu