[TowerTalk] Towers, Yagis & Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers, Yagis & Trees
From: bdorsey@cstone.net (Daniel Dorsey)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:02:51 -0500
I live on a heavily wooded 1.5 acre lot at 1370 feet above sea level.  I
have 40 feet of tower & would like to put a good yagi on top of it.
Trouble is, most of the trees are at 70' or more.  There is one spot where
I might get close to the tops of one set of trees, but still might not
clear them.  The trees are are an assortment of pine, oak, etc.  There is
one clearing where I'd install the tower, most likely, but I'm surrounded
by the trees and certainly won't clear the tops.

So far, since Jan. 1, 1998, I've managed to work 210 countries from this
QTH with 100W and a ground mounted Butternut vertical.  But Asia is still
vy hard to work with just that .... really need a beam up!

My question is if I put up the 40' of tower & a yagi, how much performance
degradation from the yagi can I expect?  A lot or maybe just a little??
Sure don't want to go to the trouble of installing a guyed tower with a
good yagi on top, only to find it doesn't work worth a hoot!

Has anyone had any experience with this pblm or who can offer any advice on
it (short of buying a 100' tower   :)   ).  Any tips appreciated !!

73   -----   Bob   K4UVT / ZF2RF    in Central VA