[TowerTalk] attenuator readings better than s-meter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] attenuator readings better than s-meter
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:25:42 +0000

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:49:43 +0000 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

>  Front-side was closer to 35 db, and F/B seemed
>well
>over 20 dB.  Granted, these are all TS-930 S-meter dB, but the better
>pattern on the 40-2CD was obvious.

Here's a little trick I have used in the past. When making f/b
or other comparison measurements, use the built-in attenuators
in the radio to make the s-meter readings equal, then read the
value off the attenuator settings. They are more reliable than
s-meter readings. For example in the TS-850, there are 6 and
12 dB attenuators, plus another 10 dB available through the
AIP (aka IPO). The various combinations give you 6, 10, 12, 16,
18, 22, and 28 dB of attenuation. So you note the s-meter reading
off the back of the beam, with no attenuators in line, then swing
the beam forward, match the original s-meter readings with the
attenuators, then take the f/b measurement off the attenuator settings.
Granted, it's not a substitute for a precision attenuator box,
but it's a lot better than an s-meter reading.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]