[TowerTalk] Alumna Crankup Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alumna Crankup Towers
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:58:43 -0500
I've been considering replacing the Glen Martin tower on the roof deck of my
house with a heavy duty crankup and have looked at the Alumna tower.  My
roof is at 48' and that's already 20' above sea level.  I'll move the Glen
Martin to another roof level (large house) and use it for other things.  I
need aluminum here on the ocean.  Any one have any experiences with this
tower?  I think about 50' would give me some extra room for another fixed
yagi at the bottom and  I have a 402CD and a TH-7 to hang on it topside.
Also have a variety of other antennas that I would like to experiment with
and the crank-ups have appeal for that reason.

Also I'd feel better guying the first section and cranking it down when the
hurricanes threaten, although the Key islands here have never been struck.
Seems we're too far south to get stay in the curve of the ones that get
throughout the Florida straight and turn North.  We do get some terrific
winds however.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"