[TowerTalk] Plastic housing box for outdoor use?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plastic housing box for outdoor use?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:55:25 +0000
On 18 Nov 98, Paul Ferguson <Paul.Ferguson@pobox.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a source for a plastic box to use near the base of my tower
> to house a coax switch box, rotor cable protection, and a few other small
> pieces of gear. The box size needs to be about 20" x 10" by 10" deep. The
> purpose of the box is to keep water away from the gear.
>
> Four years ago, I used a Rubbermaid brand plastic storage box to do the job.
> I mounted it on the inside of my tower (HDBX-48) about 2 feet above the
> tower base. The box is mounted upside down and used without the top. The
> cables go in and out of the open bottom of the box. This worked fine to keep
> rain away from the components inside. Now I find that the sun's UV rays
> have taken a toll, and the box is crumbling. This plastic box was obviously
> not meant for outdoor use.
>
> I am now looking to replace the box and would like to find a source for an
> economical one that can take the UV. Choices I have thought of are to use
> the same type of box and protect the outside or get one built to take the UV.
> I do not want to paint it. I thought about putting Scotch 33 tape over the
> outside of the box, but there is probably a better method.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> 73, K5ESW

Home Depot has a good supply of boxes in their electrical dept. The
plastic ones cost more, so you might want to take a look at the metal
ones rated for outdoor use.
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club