[TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground clamps on 25G
From: jimsmith@ns.net (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:45:45 -0800
    I've looked through several of my catalogs including Blackburn, Burndy,
Ideal, Ilsco, Teledyne, and Thomas & Betts. They manufacture a variety of
clamps using a variety of alloys, and platings for use in different
installations with the specific intent to avoid a problem with dissimilar
metals. Bronze clamps are made for the purpose of bonding directly to
copper, and galvanized steel. Some of them are specifically rated for direct
burial when connected to steel, and for use in corrosive environments. I've
seen lots of these clamps in old installations on galvanized pipe, and
bronze hubs on galvanized conduit, but never any corrosion.
    Certainly, U.L. is concerned with electrical safety. If the connection
corrodes, the ground path is lost, creating a life threatening hazard. The
connection has to be good for the life of the installation.
    You're not likely to improve the products by modifying them, and voiding
the U.L. listing. There's no need to reinvent something that's already been
engineered, tested, and proven millions of times over.
Jim Smith
KQ6UV