[TowerTalk] Station layout

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Station layout
From: brian_smithson@vds.com (Brian Smithson)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:05:29 -0500
Hi all!

I've just about exhausted the search criteria I can think of for this,
so I thought I'd go ahead and consume some bandwidth.

I'm putting an addition on my house, and I've got a 20x14 room
planned for my office and shack. I'm looking for some tips and
ideas to incorporate 'while the walls are open' so to speak, or
even before the planning ink is dry.

My interests are DX (half way to honor-roll - the last 50% takes
110% of the time, eh?) and contesting. I do a bit of packet and
very little VHF/UHF beyond FM. I have one tower (so far) with
a tribander and lots of wires planned.

Here's what I have in mind so far:

A hallway from the rest of the house will end in a door to the
office/shack. I'm going to 'shorten' the room by about 4' so I can
have a wiring closet on one end of the room just before you go
in. It will have its own door off the hallway. In the room I plan to
have my networking gear and storage. I will also have a 100A
breaker box to service the office and the guestroom (that's what
the XYL gets out of the deal:). There will also be a 220 outlet in
case I really get crazy and go for an amp someday.

The whole addition is 28' wide with the other side being the
guestroom. The addition itself is off the side of the house, and
I plan to insulate the wall between the shack and the guestroom
for sound.

The radio bench/desk will be up against the wall where the
wiring closet will be. I'm planning some sort of 'pass thru' so I
can get to the back of the radios from inside the wiring closet.
There will be outlets sprinkled about, as well as phone and
100baseT jacks througout the room.

All the cabling from the outside will come up underneath the
house into the crawlspace via buried PVC running out to the
tower about 120' away. My grounding bulkheads will be under
the house and the cables will then run into the house through a
hole in the floor of the wiring closet. They will then run thru the
'pass-thru' to the gear.

It seems like I've seen a discussion like this sometime ago, but
for the life of me I can't remember when or find it via the search
engine.

Does anyone else have any ideas or tips for me?

Thanks, es 73!

Brian N8WRL