[TowerTalk] coax connectors & penetrox et. al.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax connectors & penetrox et. al.
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:57:46 EST
In a message dated 98-12-03 12:57:44 EST, WBH3@daimlerchrysler.com writes:

> After all the talk about using products such as penetrox, no-alox and other
>  oxidation preventers/conduction improvers, I am wondering if it would be a
>  good idea to put some on my pl-259's, both the center conductor and the
>  screw-
>  on barrel.

      Typical anti-oxidant products are for copper and aluminum, not nickel or
whatever else your connector is made out of. Also, the anti-oxidants are for
connections under compression, like an element with a hose clamp. I don't
think there's enough compression in a PL-259 to make it work. Since most of
the anti-oxidant is a non-conductive grease, you might wind up with an
insulator between the metal parts.

> Of course, it you are using a layer of scotch 88 and then a
>  layer of coax-seal and then another layer of tape over the coax and the
>  connector, do you really need to worry about oxidation?

      Right. If the connection is sealed against oxygen, then there isn't any
oxidation.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC