[TowerTalk] Phillystran question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 23:32:08 EST
In a message dated 98-12-05 18:54:27 EST, n4gn@iglou.com writes:

> For some reason I had the idea, before I bought all this stuff, that the
>  Philly would be put through the thimble, doubled back on itself, and the
>  grip would be wound around both strands.  Looking at the grips, it seems
>  they are designed to go around only ONE strand.  So I guess I just wrap
>  one half of the grip around the Philly, put the other end of the grip
>  through the thimble, then bring it back and wrap it around the Philly
>  (kinda interlocking helices around the Philly).  Is this right?

      Correcto mundo, Senor. Here's some of a recent Up The Tower column in CQ
Contest magazine (there's even an illustration):

"PREFORMS
     Preformed Big-Grip dead-ends are the easiest to make a guy wire
terminations. You simply curl them onto the end of the guy wire and that
produces a reliable, permanent termination. Naturally they're the most
expensive to buy. Preformed cable grips have virtually replaced cable clamps
for power companies, telephone companies, cable companies, etc. If you can't
find them locally, magazine advertisers will be happy to ship you as many as
you need.
     Preforms are color-coded for wire sizes. The coding is:
               1/8"      Blue
               3/16"     Red
               1/4"      Yellow
               9/32"     Blue
               5/16"     Black
               3/8"      Orange
     Only use the correct Preforms for the wire rope that you are using. Wire
ropes and related hardware, including Preforms and cable clamps, are designed
for a certain number of strands in the wire rope as well as a certain lay. Do
not mix different hardware.

INSTALLING PREFORMS
     Preformed guy grips are precision devices that are designed to be
installed by hand. As per the instructions below, you can use a screwdriver to
finish the ends but no other tools. They should be installed in conjunction
with heavy-duty wire rope thimbles.
        Here are the Preformed factory instructions:
1. Insert heavy-duty thimble into eye of the Preform and then through
attaching hardware (shackle, etc.).
2. Wrap the first leg (either one) around the guy wire with two complete
wraps. You simply wrap them around the guy wire. Line up the crossover marks,
and then wrap the second leg with two complete wraps, ending opposite the
first leg. Note: The first crossover mark is for typical wire terminations.
The second crossover mark is for Preformed grip installation through an
insulator.
3. Complete the installation by either wrapping both legs simultaneously
(keeping the legs opposite each other) or alternate legs a couple of wraps at
a time. Bending the guy wire as you wrap the Preform leg around it will make
it easier to attach.
4. Finish the short leg first, then the long leg.
5. Seat the ends of the legs by putting a blade screwdriver under the end of
the leg and prying it around the guy wire. For Phillystran, you may need to
separate the strands to finish the ends of the Preform.
6. Attach a black tie wrap or end sleeve around grip at the end to secure.
(Adapted from Phillystran Technical Bulletin 105-1/95)
        Factory specs say that you can remove and reapply the grips twice -
apply,
remove, apply, remove, apply is the limit. If removal is necessary after a guy
grip has been installed for a period longer than three months, it must be
replaced."

      I would only only do 6-8 inches at a time with Phillystran or it'll
bunch up. There were some good posts awhile back that you can probably find in
the archives (www.contesting.com).

>  And what are the painted red lines on the grips trying to tell me?

        There are two sets of painted lines - they are the crossover marks.
They indicate where the crossover of the legs begins. See #2 above.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
www.championradio.com