[TowerTalk] TH-3 Problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH-3 Problems
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 21:39:38 -0800
Paul McInnish - K4BET wrote:

> Would like to suggest that one NOT use steel wool to clean aluminum joints
> on antennas.  The steel wool will 'shred', 'disintegrate' and imbed minute
> particles in the aluminum... and eventually will rust and set up a high
> resistance joint. EVEN when using the conductive greases and
> anti-oxidants... Pentrox, etc.
>
> Suggest using a product made by 3-M and it is called Scotch Brite pads.
> Paint & body shops use it in place of sand paper in a lot of instances.
> 73,
> Paul
> K4BET

I'll be the first to second this notion about what to use to prepare aluminum
for bonding (either electrical or mechanical).
In my last 20 years of preparing aluminum for structural bonding, there are
very few materials that compare to simple
Scothbrite for the bond prep.Yes, there are several chemical treatments that
are superior, and spec'd for the bonding of the
airplanes you all fly on. But, I think most of us garage antenna builders do
not have access to the very best chemical
treatments. So, we get to do the next best thing, that is polishing the
substrates with Scothbrite.
The connection needs to be made within 2-3 hours after cleaning. Otherwise, the
atmosphere will oxidize the surfaces and
render the connection useless. YMMV, dry climates give you more time, humid
ones do not.

Steel wool is anathema to good aluminum bond prep. The steel residues imbedded
in the aluminum surface will make really neat
batteries to corrode your connections.

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/