[TowerTalk] Antenna positioning in the wind

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna positioning in the wind
From: N0OEL@aol.com (N0OEL@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:54:21 EST
Paul, your question has be argued for years!    But consider the following:

If you put the tips into the wind you are easier on the beam as the boom has
the
most strength.   But the windload on the thicker boom has, in most cases,
more windload therefore more windload on the tower.

If you put the director into the wind it is tougher on the thinner elements.
This is what I have done for years and all is still well.

I too had heard some say the reflector into the wind to protect the other
elements.

I would guess if you had a room of 99 hams you would have 33 of them in each
of the three corners.    Sid Kitrel, former National Sales Manager of HyGain,
once told me to point the boom into the wind.   Maybe he was right.

Bet you get all three schools of thought on this!

73
Mike
K0BUD