[TowerTalk] electric winch for UStower MA550

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] electric winch for UStower MA550
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:54:32 -0500

>In a message dated 98-12-10 22:07:13 EST, jvilardo@voicenet.com writes:
>
>> Has any one had any sucess at installing there own electric lift >>
mechanism for the MA550?
>>  US Tower wants almost $1000 for their MD75 motor drive, seems a bit  >>
heavy and I was looking for a lower cost alternative.  >>  and hand cranking
the MA550 is not exactly a chore I look forward to on >>  a daily basis.

K7LXC then said>       If you value your time at zero dollars and are a
qualified engineer
>that can safety merge a motor, drive, drum, etc. for this application - go
>head on, you might save a couple of bucks. >
>      Otherwise, observing the LXC Prime Directive ("DO what the
manufacturer
>says") is mandatory. Penny wise, pound foolish, etc.

Steve is right.  US Tower makes a deluxe unit.   Raising and lowering the
tower on a daily basis calls for a top notch motor drive.   The alternatives
are slim beyond roll your own.  There was a system from Towtec 15 + years
ago that replaced the winch and used a small motor but it took 30 minutes
each way for the 55 footer and 45 minutes for the 71'.   Towtec was bought
by Glenn Martin as I remember.   You might find someone with a danaged tower
that has the winch/motor intact as the last ditch alternative.

Dave K4JRB