[TowerTalk] De-ice a rotator ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] De-ice a rotator ?
From: lburke@wt.net (Larry Burke)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:32:20 -0600

Bert.... are you sure it's the rotor that's locked up or is there an
accumulation of ice on your thrust bearing or pointy top? This is not a
problem with all types of installations, but some almost encourage water and
ice to build up. What I have done in the past for this type of setup is
mount a rubber sewer fitting on the mast with a hose clamp. The fitting in
question adapts a small size pipe (your mast in this case) to a much larger
size pipe (the area you are trying to protect in umbrella fashion, in this
case). Water runs away from the thrust bearing or pointy top with this
arrangement. Works slick. Looks neater if you think about it before you
install the mast, but it can even be installed after everything is in the
air.... just cut the adapter with a pocket knife and seal it back up with
RTV once it's fitted over the mast.

I'll bet your problem isn't in the rotor itself in your climate, but it does
happen. The method mentioned above kept my Ham IV running through three
Chicago winters. Would lock up everytime before I installed it.

Gud luck.

Larry WI5A
Now in toasty Friendswood, Texas where it still hasn't gotten to 32 degrees.